Effective Wednesday, March 10, the animal shelter will continue to focus on protecting our customers and staff while providing the highest level of customer service by following these safety measures:
- Face coverings worn by staff and visitors
- Staff health screenings
- Hand sanitizing stations
- Enhanced sanitization schedules
- Safe-spacing, floor markers
- Physical distancing
Appointments are strongly encouraged for priority customer service.
- Stray animals will be accepted by appointment whenever possible. To make an appointment, call 512-930-3592 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lost animals will be returned to their owners through appointment. Owners who are missing pets should submit a lost report at https://pets.georgetown.org/shelter-operations-during-covid/lost-pets/ or call 512-930-3592.
- Surrendered animals will be accepted on an emergency basis to minimize the number of animals coming into the shelter. Appointments are recommended.
- Adoptions will proceed via appointment. While interested adopters may see available cats and dogs when they visit, they will need a pre-approved application to schedule an appointment to interact with them. Available pets may be seen online at https://pets.georgetown.org/available-pets/, and an application may be submitted at https://records.georgetown.org/Forms/AdoptApp.
- City licenses will be sold online and in a variety of ways detailed at https://pets.georgetown.org/overview/licensing-your-pets/.
Licensing your pets has never been easier with the introduction of new online forms: this one which includes a payment option and this one for those who get free licenses. Many citizens have asked for this convenience, and thanks to the City’s IT department, we can now offer it!
❔ For those of you scratching your heads, read about pet licenses here https://pets.georgetown.org/overview/licensing-your-pets.
And remember, don’t let your pets drive without a license!
We’re counting down the days to March 4th – 5th and Amplify Austin Day
Get ready to give! On March 4th – 5th, starting at 6:00PM visit www.amplifyatx.org and make a donation. All giving will end at 6:00PM on March 5th, so make sure to get your gift in on time!
We need your help to make our campaign a success, and we’ve included a couple of easy ways that you can support us.
- Share and share alike. Online days of giving are successful because of our own networks. Help us grow our network by sending this email to your network and ask your friends to do the same.
- Be socially (media) active. Use your social media networks: post on Facebook, tweet about Amplify Austin Day, and share your love for your particular passion, whether it’s education, health care, animals, or the arts. Ask others to do the same.
The free spay/neuter clinic for cats scheduled for Saturday, February 20 has been rescheduled for Saturday, March 20.
The winter storm of the past week forced the shelter to be closed for the week and created some logistical difficulties in supplies and staffing. Don’t worry, the dogs and cats are warm and receiving daily care.
We have contacted the people who are signed up to inform them of the postponement. Thank you for your understanding and continued support.
2/18 Update: The shelter will be closed on Friday. We’re looking forward to being back at the shelter for our usual hours this weekend, paws crossed. (We’re still operating by appointment only.)
2/17 Update: The shelter will remain closed on Thursday. The dogs and cats and people are doing fine, but we are all ready for this cold weather to be gone!
2/15 Update: The shelter will be closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. We’ve been able to take care of the animals each day, which is our main priority, of course. Please take care of yourselves and your pets <3
2/14 Update: The shelter will be closed on Monday. Check back about Tuesday!
The shelter will be closed on Sunday, February 14, due to weather conditions. It may be closed on Monday as well, but we won’t know until Sunday afternoon. Stay safe, everyone!
As always, if you need to reach Animal Control, call them through the non-emergency police number at 512-930-3510 x6.
The shelter has canceled its roster of low-cost vaccination clinics. With the continued spread of Covid-19 in our community, it is not safe to host events that attract large groups of people.
We know that people have come to rely on vaccination clinics and are sorry we can’t provide this service currently. If conditions allow, we will add clinics to our calendar later this year and publicize the events.
In the meantime, you may want to consider having your pets vaccinated at a veterinarian’s office, Emancipet, or Texas Humane Heroes. Another option is Tractor Supply, which offers vaccinations and other services every Sunday at their Georgetown store.
Thank you for your understanding.
If you would like to support the animal shelter with a gift of supplies before year-end, a local young philanthropist is making it easy for you.
Korri has been bringing cheer to shelter animals by organizing donation drop-offs around town.
Thanks so much, Korri! Boxes will be up until the end of December at Wag Heaven (6th St), El Monumento (during business hours), Tail Waggins Dog Bakery and Dog House (on Booty’s Rd).
Local artist Nick Ramos is hoping his drawings bring some positive energy into the new year and help raise funds this holiday season for some worthy nonprofits, including Friends of the Georgetown Animal Shelter. You get to choose the nonprofit.
Nick has a long history of helping the shelter, designing our logo, Friends of the Shelter logo, and the graphics on our adoption trailer. Plus he has adopted from us!
Order by December 20th for Christmas delivery. It’s a great stocking stuffer that will last 18 months. Order here.
Thank you, Georgetown friends and neighbors, from the tips of our tails to our button noses!
Our Donation Drive-Through (which began on #GivingTuesday and continued throughout the week) was a tremendous success, more so than we ever expected. The bags of food, treats, toys, beds and so much more will help many shelter dogs and cats over the next months, as well as community pets.
You are good people!
This GivingTuesday, Georgetown Animal Shelter and its nonprofit partner, Friends of the Georgetown Animal Shelter, will kick off the generosity season by hosting a drive-through donation drive for shelter pets December 1-5, 2020.
DATES AND TIMES
Tuesday, December 1, 12-4pm
Wednesday, December 2, 12-4pm
Thursday, December 3, 12-4pm
Friday, December 4, 12-4pm
Saturday, December 5, 9am-3pm
Dry cat & dog food
Guinea pig, rabbit & hamster food
New dog & cat toys
Pill pockets & treats
Kongs & peanut butter
GivingTuesday is a global generosity movement, unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and their world.