Georgetown Animal Services

Which Shelter Should I Go To?

Knowing the difference between local animal shelters is often confusing to people. There are several shelters in the Georgetown area.  Two are open intake, tax-supported municipal shelter, and two are private non-profits.

  • City of Georgetown Animal Shelter – A municipal shelter (supported by taxes like any other city department), the Georgetown Animal Shelter is an open door shelter that accepts all dogs and cats found within the city limits or surrendered by owners that live within the city limits.  It has been in the same location for about 25 years – off College St. near San Gabriel Park.

(512) 930-3592                                                     110 Walden Dr., Georgetown, TX  78626

  • Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter – A shelter funded by the county and participating cities within the county (Cedar Park, Hutto, Leander and Round Rock), the regional shelter is an open door facility that accepts all dogs and cats surrendered or strays found in their jurisdiction.  It opened in 2007 on the Inner Loop in Georgetown.

(512) 943-3322                                                                    1855 S.E. Inner Loop, Georgetown, TX  78626

  • Texas Humane Heroes – Formerly known as Humane Society of Williamson County, this group is located in Leander.  It is a limited intake private animal shelter, which acquires most of its cats and dogs from municipal shelters or, selectively, from owners wanting to relinquish their pets.

(512) 260-3602                                                                   10930 E. Crystal Falls Parkway, Leander, TX  78641

  • Central Texas SPCA – Also located in Leander, the SPCA is a limited intake private shelter that accepts animals from owners, selectively, and from open door shelters.

(512) 260-7722                                          909 S. Bagdad Rd., Leander, TX  78641


Where should I go to adopt?

Any of the shelters would be happy to help you find a dog or cat to add to your family!


Where should I go when I find a stray or want to surrender a pet?

If you live within the city limits of Georgetown, or find an animal within the city, you may bring him/her to the Georgetown Animal Shelter.  If you live elsewhere in Williamson County, take the animal to the Regional shelter.  If you hope to surrender an animal to one of the private shelters, call first to discuss their policies, surrender fees, and waiting list.


Where should I go to look for a lost pet?

If the pet was lost in Georgetown, visit or call the Georgetown Animal Shelter. If the cat or dog was lost elsewhere in the county, visit or call the Regional shelter.


What about licensing my pet?

Again, if you live within the city limits of Georgetown, dogs and cats are required to be licensed.  You can bring or mail proof of current rabies vaccinations to the shelter.  More information and a form to use for mailing can be found here:


Other jurisdictions have different requirements about licensing pets, so contact your city or county for details.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Click here to sign up for Georgetown news.
Click here to view our Twitter page. Click here to view our facebook page. Click here to view our Nextdoor page. Click here to view our Youtube page.
Click here to sign up for alerts.
image: City of Georgetown Texas logo