Georgetown Animal Shelter changes hours
Starting Monday, Aug. 29, the Georgetown Animal Shelter will return to appointment-based operations. The shelter will be closed to walk-in traffic.
Staff turnover and an increase in animal intakes have created a need for our staff to better manage workloads while new employees are recruited, hired, and trained. In the interim, appointments will be required to visit the shelter.
- Stray animals will be accepted by appointment only, provided there is space at the shelter. To make an appointment, call 512-930-3592 or email email@example.com.
- Lost animals will be returned to their owners through appointments. Owners who are missing pets should complete a lost pet report at pets.georgetown.org/lost-pets-2, email a description to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 512-930-3592.
- to email@example.com, or call 512-930-3592.
- Surrendered animals will be accepted only on an emergency basis to minimize the number of animals coming into the shelter. Signs on the door and online will direct people to call for appointments.
- Adoptions will proceed via appointment. Interested adopters can view dogs and cats available for adoption at pets.georgetown.org/available-pets/, and submit an online application. After reviewing the application, staff will reach out to schedule appointments.
- City licenses will be sold at pets.georgetown.org/overview/licensing-your-pets/, or over the phone, email, or postal mail.
- Animal Control will conduct business as usual. Calls for service should be directed to 512-930-3510, option 6.
Appointments to drop off stray animals, surrender animals, and reclaim animals should be made during normal business hours. Residents may contact the shelter by calling 512-930-3592 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
During this time, the shelter’s hours of operation will be:
- Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Wednesdays – closed
- Thursdays 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Sundays through Sept. 4 noon.-4 p.m.
- Sundays beginning Sept. 11 – closed
- Labor Day, Sept. 5 – closed
If you’re interested in working at the shelter, please see our current openings and consider applying at georgetown.org/jobs/.